For the cake
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50ml/13⁄4fl oz 100% Arabica Press’d coffee (50ml of water & 2 tsp of Arabica Press’d coffee)
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75g/21⁄2oz walnuts
For the buttercream topping
- 125g/41⁄2oz unsalted butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz 100% Arabica Press’d coffee (50ml of water & 2 tsp of 100% Arabica Press’d coffee)
- 12 walnut halves & coffee beans to decorate
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
- Add the 100% Arabica Press’d coffee to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tins.
- Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream topping, beat the butter and icing sugar together in a small bowl until pale and light.
- Add 100% Arabica Press’d coffee and mix well.
- Spread the buttercream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the walnut halves and the coffee beans
- Serve in generous slices.